Skip to main content

Missing You, Mom.

Mothers, mom, momma, however you want to refer to them...there is one special one. I'm not referring to my biological mother, but the woman who was there for me every day. I'm not discounting my adoption or the act of love to place a baby up for adoption, but rather focusing on the woman I called "Mom."

I can't believe it's been exactly 5 years since she passed away. Most of you know, she was diagnosed with cancer in 2004 while I was living in Brazil. After radiation and other treatments, the cancer went into remission. Years later, she was re-diagnosed with cancer that had spread and was in stage 4. To make a long story shorter, she passed away after a long fight with cancer on August 17th, 2010. At the time, my emotions were all over the place and I didn't know how much I'd truly miss her until much later.

Nancy Hunsaker, the woman I call "Mom," was an independent, strong willed, determined, and a service-oriented woman. I miss her every day and just wish I could have a conversation with her. She would listen to me for hours complain about the public education system or just when I had a bad day.

My sisters and I have grown closer and that has been something I truly have enjoyed. They are strong and determined...just like Mom.

I just wanted to write this down quickly for myself and for others to read. Take advantage of every conversation, every hug, every phone call, every text... The small moments are the precious ones...the ones that you can't make up again later. I love you Mom and know you're still watching over us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeing the Whole Deck

I was in the middle of a classic doom scroll when I stopped on a video that opened with  “Depression is a lie.” I remember thinking,  Okay… bold claim. You’ve got my attention. Instead of spiraling into platitudes, the guy explained his point using a simple magic trick. A deck of cards. Nothing fancy. So let’s put ourselves there. I’m standing in front of you, holding a plain deck of cards. I show you the top card — it’s face down. You can clearly see that. Based on everything you know about how card decks work, you naturally assume the other 51 cards are face down too. You don’t question it. Why would you? You’ve seen enough to fill in the rest. And that’s the point. While I’m talking, while I’m asking you to pick  any  card, I casually flip the deck in my hands. You don’t notice. There’s no reason to. I fan the cards out and every single one you see appears face down. You choose a card from somewhere in the middle — because of course that feels more random — and yo...

Right Swipe, Right Time.

As summer winds down, I find myself reflecting a bit. The last few years have been chaotic—leaving administration, finishing up at my old school, moving to a new one, frantically setting up a classroom, learning curriculum, just trying to get my footing—and before I knew it, summer was gone. But this year felt different. I officially survived 6th grade…again. Teachers get out about two weeks earlier than administrators, so when I checked out in early June—bam—it actually felt like summer this time. On top of that, Amanda and I moved in together back in February. Looking back at our timeline, it’s easy to see how some might say things moved fast. Maybe they did. But here’s the thing—I’ve learned to speak my truth a little louder. And the truth is simple: I don’t care what anyone thinks about the speed of it. We’re in our 40s. We know what we want. I’m happy. Freaking happy. I don’t think I’ve ever written out the saga of how I met Amanda. So here goes: It was not a dark and stormy night...

Single Parenting: Surviving Sadness to Finding Silver Linings

  It’s funny how things work themselves out in life. It’s been about two years now since I’ve been truly living the single parent life. How I would love to talk to myself back then…I would have some words of wisdom. I believe that I struggled with a common obstacle many parents do at that point in the journey. Two years ago, I was stuck . I was stuck in a never-ending cycle of sadness when my three kids, Kayden, Rose, and Nari, were with their mom. Truly, I believed that is what you’re supposed to feel. Sadness that your kids are not with you. Over the past two years, a new clarity has come and I’d like to share it with all of my faithful and loyal readers…all 8 of you (that may be erroring on the high side). Dearest Gentle Reader… no that’s not right. Four score and seven years ago…hum. It was a dark and stormy night…nope. Okay, I’ll just be original. I left off with the statement that 2 years ago, I was stuck. Like stuck stuck. In the mud stuck. Frozen in ice, feet in concrete, d...