Skip to main content

You Can Do ANYTHING for 10 Seconds

Over the last few months, I feel I may have fallen victim to negativism. You know what I'm talking about...when you just assume the worst in all situations. I don't know what had changed, but it wasn't in my favorite place to be. A while back, Suzie and I watched a hilarious Netflix original, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. 

A brief summary of the show, Kimmy was held captive in a bunker by a religious fanatic that told her of the world apocalypse. It ended up being a fictional tale and she was "rescued" and tossed into "normal" life in New York City. The show focuses on her spunky attitude and her hilarious attempts at figuring out modern life. In one episode, Kimmy is talking about how she over comes hard times. She is working a crank in the corner of the bunker. Others in the bunker tell her to stop and allow someone else a turn. She, in an exhausted voice, says:


“I learned a long time ago that a person can stand just about anything for 10 seconds, then you just start on a new 10 seconds. All you’ve got to do is take it 10 seconds at a time.”

As crazy as it is, I really liked that attitude. In all reality, we do just about anything for ten seconds. I know, I know, I'm not always the best at counting to ten. Starting today...I will try with a more concentrated effort.

1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10...1...2...

I am also trying to slow down and enjoy the moment. Too often I find myself worrying about the future. Not just the immediate future, but things far down the road!!! I don't know why, but I lay awake for hours at night worrying about everything. It is about what kind of man I am to my wife, what kind of father I am to my kids, how my career is going, the yard work that needs to be done, the house work that needs to be completed, the cats, hoping for a dog, if I left the oven on, did I lock all the doors, did I close the garage...and the list goes on.

Finally, when sleep comes, it's always too short.

Being a step-parent is really tough. It's hard to stay positive, keep the kids out of any adult conflict, and most importantly not feel jealous. When Kayden says he would rather be at his father's house, it's hard to not take that personally. It's hard to hear him on the phone with his father. I joke and kid, but in the end, it isn't easy. I never would have thought it would be this difficult to find a place as a step-parent. It isn't like anything else out there. Unless you're a step-parent that sits through the homework, the illness, doctor's appointments, sporting events, the fits, the joys, the screaming, crying, and laughter, it's hard to explain. I know the kids love me and I love them. I guess it's just hard to explain. Maybe one day, I'll find the words to describe life as a step-parent of two kids!

I am beyond blessed. My wife is an amazing woman. It isn't always the case, but I was able to marry my very best friend. She stuck to my side even when I tried to drift away. She has always been my constant. Being together has been an amazing ride thus far and am so excited to see what the future holds for our family. So to end this whole thing for the day, I'm learning to slow down, calm down, enjoy the moment, and live my life and enjoy the little things. When things get tough, take them ten seconds at a time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeing the Whole Deck

I was in the middle of a classic doom scroll when I stopped on a video that opened with  “Depression is a lie.” I remember thinking,  Okay… bold claim. You’ve got my attention. Instead of spiraling into platitudes, the guy explained his point using a simple magic trick. A deck of cards. Nothing fancy. So let’s put ourselves there. I’m standing in front of you, holding a plain deck of cards. I show you the top card — it’s face down. You can clearly see that. Based on everything you know about how card decks work, you naturally assume the other 51 cards are face down too. You don’t question it. Why would you? You’ve seen enough to fill in the rest. And that’s the point. While I’m talking, while I’m asking you to pick  any  card, I casually flip the deck in my hands. You don’t notice. There’s no reason to. I fan the cards out and every single one you see appears face down. You choose a card from somewhere in the middle — because of course that feels more random — and yo...

Right Swipe, Right Time.

As summer winds down, I find myself reflecting a bit. The last few years have been chaotic—leaving administration, finishing up at my old school, moving to a new one, frantically setting up a classroom, learning curriculum, just trying to get my footing—and before I knew it, summer was gone. But this year felt different. I officially survived 6th grade…again. Teachers get out about two weeks earlier than administrators, so when I checked out in early June—bam—it actually felt like summer this time. On top of that, Amanda and I moved in together back in February. Looking back at our timeline, it’s easy to see how some might say things moved fast. Maybe they did. But here’s the thing—I’ve learned to speak my truth a little louder. And the truth is simple: I don’t care what anyone thinks about the speed of it. We’re in our 40s. We know what we want. I’m happy. Freaking happy. I don’t think I’ve ever written out the saga of how I met Amanda. So here goes: It was not a dark and stormy night...

Single Parenting: Surviving Sadness to Finding Silver Linings

  It’s funny how things work themselves out in life. It’s been about two years now since I’ve been truly living the single parent life. How I would love to talk to myself back then…I would have some words of wisdom. I believe that I struggled with a common obstacle many parents do at that point in the journey. Two years ago, I was stuck . I was stuck in a never-ending cycle of sadness when my three kids, Kayden, Rose, and Nari, were with their mom. Truly, I believed that is what you’re supposed to feel. Sadness that your kids are not with you. Over the past two years, a new clarity has come and I’d like to share it with all of my faithful and loyal readers…all 8 of you (that may be erroring on the high side). Dearest Gentle Reader… no that’s not right. Four score and seven years ago…hum. It was a dark and stormy night…nope. Okay, I’ll just be original. I left off with the statement that 2 years ago, I was stuck. Like stuck stuck. In the mud stuck. Frozen in ice, feet in concrete, d...