Skip to main content

Gun Control Q&A

In the wake of the tragic events in Las Vegas, I decided to sit down and write out my beliefs and thoughts on guns and the laws that surround them. If you know anything about me, you know that I enjoy guns and the gun culture. As an adult, competitive shooting, recreational shooting, collecting guns, and reloading have become a hobby.

Strange enough, I grew up in a house that only had one functional firearm. It was a Winchester 1906 pump action .22LR rifle that belonged to my father's father. It has since been handed down to me and one day I will pass it on to my son. I couldn't tell you why I was so fascinated with the military or firearms in general as a child growing up. Later in life, my mom told me that my parents had decided to not purchase toy guns for me. But they found that I would make them out of empty toilet paper rolls, Legos, sticks, or just with whatever I could get my hands on. I remember playing "Army War" on the playground with my friends. As I grew older, that fascination was directed to Nerf guns and later replica airsoft rifles and pistols. We would go into the woods and have "battles" with our airsoft guns.

I purchased my first handgun when I turned 21. It was a Smith & Wesson Sigma Series in .40S&W. I went to an indoor range in Oregon (where I was raised). I was hooked.

I attended school in Idaho. The gun culture is pretty strong, even more so than my native state of Oregon. After establishing residency, I applied for my concealed weapons license. Since that time, I have taken several defensive handgun courses and over time found what works best for my personal concealed carry. In more recent years, I have come to find great enjoyment in reloading my own ammunition, purchasing firearms, and even purchasing NFA controlled items (short barreled rifles and suppressors). My wife wasn't huge on guns until we went out shooting several times. She has her own handguns and rifle.

Circling back to the intent of my original post, my views on gun laws...

I saw a video that best describes my personal views recently. It was a police chief who was explaining how when he was young, kids had their hunting rifles in the racks of their pickups. Those rifles didn't walk into the school and shoot anyone. He commented that the guns haven't changed as much as we, as a society, have. We live in a society that glorifies violence. I am not immune to that as I used to play Call of Duty extensively. I have since moved away from video games, mainly due to parenting demands. But we live in a society where violence is okay. Movies portray guns, fighting, and shooting as gloried images even though they are grossly exaggerated and inaccurate.

I do dislike when people misclassify firearms as "assault weapons." Assault, in this usage, is an adjective. It's a descriptive of the word weapon. My firearms have not assaulted anyone. They an merely an inanimate object. I do understand the argument that a gun's design purpose was to kill. So I figured I'd have a little Q and A with myself here:

Q: Should we ban guns since they are a tool for death and destruction?
A: No, making something illegal does not stop criminals from using them (i.e. drugs). I use them for recreation, and have found great enjoyment in the shooting sports.

Q: Why do you need an AR-15?
A: Let me answer that question with another question: why do you need a car that can travel more than 100MPH? Because I can...as can you. It should not be a problem if used within the confides of the law.

Q: Why do you need a magazine with more than 10 bullets?
A: Why do you need a gas tank bigger than 10 gallons? Why do you need more than than 2 outfits for clothes? I know, I know, you'll say it will help reduce the amount of damage a gunman could inflict. Columbine is a prime example that bad people will still do bad things, even with magazine capacity limitations.

Q: Why do you need so many guns?
A: Because I can...to keep it short and simple. Every gun that I personally own has a purpose. Recently my dad asked me how many "rapid fire guns I own." I narrowed it down to just AR-15s for him, and replied, "3." He asked me why I had so many. Each one, I explained, has a different purpose and is set up differently. I also do not own a "Bump Fire" stock or any other device that simulates full-automatic fire. I don't see the point...

Q: Would you give up your "hobby" if it would save people's lives?
A: That's a loaded question...would you give up drinking, smoking, speeding, knowing it could save someone's life? Absolutely, BUT that is not the answer. I had a conversation with someone recently, who told me we should give up some privileges for other's safety. I told her that gun ownership is not a privilege but rather a right granted in the Constitution. Giving up a right for the safety of others is a slippery slope. At what point do we give up the freedom of speech or religion because someone else is threatened?

Q: The Second Amendment was written long ago when the founding fathers only had muskets that could only be fired once per minute. It's outdated, shouldn't our laws change as well?
A: This is seriously one of the most ridiculous statements...if that is true, get off the computer, grab some parchment and a quill. Send your message by horse messenger and I'll reply in due time. Technology is constantly evolving. The freedom of speech is extended to your Tweets, blogs, vlogs, Facebook posts, etc. I am sure the Founding Fathers had no idea there would be a method to reach out to the entire world at a click of a button when they wrote the laws. Another interesting fact, just for the record, the Federal government does not classify muzzleloaders as firearms. They do NOT require any paperwork, background check, or registration to purchase.

Q: A ban would lower crime rates right?
A: Since when have criminals followed the law? Why would a criminal work within the confides of the law? "Oh I'm sorry, I can't use this gun since it's illegal..." If that were true, Chicago and the state of California should be some of the safest places in the US...

Q: Haven't you seen the statistics that the US has the highest gun deaths in the world?!
A: 2/3 of those deaths are suicide. The data has been spread with the idea that it's all violent crime related. When you disaggregate the data, you will see that those numbers include suicide, accidents, and other reasons beyond just homicide.

Q: Would you be for turning in all of your guns?
A: I am a law abiding citizen. But no, I would not. Would I give up shooting as a hobby? If I must, BUT I will not give up the ability to defend myself, family, and property from those who mean me harm.

Q: Are you for tighter gun control laws?
A: No. How would enacting more laws keep criminals from having guns? There needs to be a larger focus on mental health and how to help those in need. Outreach programs and training to help family members and loved ones identify the signs of need.

Q: Why do you carry a concealed firearm?
A: Why do you have fire extinguishers? Do you hope something catches fire so you can put it out? Of course not! I carry just in case. I am smaller of stature and if confronted by multiple attackers or someone much larger, a gun levels the confrontation. I pray I never have to use my concealed firearm, but train and prepare for the worst. I don't carry insurance on my house and car hoping something happens, but we prepare for the worst possible scenario.

If you have a question and can have a civil conversation, let's talk. I am open for discussion. But bring facts to the table as well as personal experiences and finally an open mind.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Won't Wait to be Happy

*heavy sigh... here we go again... Over the past 18 months, it seems that the ADHD hyper fixation on hobbies has been in full force. I have learned to make balloon animals, pick locks, diamond art, semi-pro coloring, building mechanical keyboards, sewing, 3D printing, handmade popup cards, iron on vinyl t-shirts, vinyl stickers, etc. It makes perfect sense to come full circle and get back to blogging. Life has a knack for tossing lemons at us which leaves me tempted to just pucker up instead of embracing a sweet lemonade. The cynic in me screams, "hey...what about the water, juicer, and sugar? Do you expect me to use my hand to stir it?" I even go as far as wondering why someone would just give me free lemons...what strings are attached? So I digress... already. However, I recently heard a quote that I really like and it goes, " you can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy ." These words smacked me across the face. As some know,

What Comes After Rock Bottom? Up.

 As I continue a constant journey of self-reflection and improvement I sat down to write this post. As many of you know the past few years have been extremely difficult for my family. I say that because the events have truly had an effect on every single person in the family. For some outsiders, I have heard people say, “you guys seemed so happy…” or “you’re the perfect family.” No one is without fault. Looking back, I would have handled so many of the situations differently knowing what I know now, knowing the outcome of my own actions, and knowing the hurt and pain everything would bring. Hindsight is always 20/20. Well I don’t think that is always true. Hindsight with GLASSES is always true. The glasses, metaphorically, represent our lens/perspective as we have grown and gained new skills from the experience. It’s all part of self-reflection. After everything came to be, I thought I had hit rock bottom. I felt like the rug had been pulled from under me. It was a very dark and lonely

Pass the Baton - A Place of Peace

I finished writing this entry and just before positing, I looked at the title "Pass the Baton". After contemplating what I had written, I included "A Place of Peace" after it and now this paragraph. I almost disagree with the title of the poem now. Having run track but more importantly...coached many of my 6th grade classes for the infamous 6th Grade Track Meet, the relay is the ultimate race. I see the comparison of being on the same team and wanting the best for everyone on your team...but I don't see the parallels that I drew. I completely understand that this paragraph is very random but hear me out: I am not so much passing the baton, but rather realizing that there's another relay team in another heat now that I can cheer for. Sure, I'm not on that particular team anymore, but I care for everyone on it. Both our relay teams can win our own heats. There is room for everyone to win. Ah, there we go...now back with the regularly scheduled blog post: S