Skip to main content

Insta-Parenthood Part 1 of Many

Parenthood is defined as "the state of being a parent and the responsibilities involved..." Thanks Webster's Dictionary for providing a very generic and non-descriptive definition. There is nothing in the dictionary to define or even describe what I like to call, "insta-parenthood."

Suzie and I have been together almost 3 years now. At first, we kept the kids at a distance in case things didn't work out. As time would tell, we wanted to become a family together. I've asked a few friends who are now parents if they were ready. The most common response, "Mark, you'll never be ready. It just happens." That's a fine answer, but that doesn't quite describe my situation.

Suzie has two wonderful, but crazy kids. The boy, Kayden, is 4. Rose, the girl, is 2. They are bundles of energy and personality. They love you one moment and say, "go away" the next. It has been a most incredible journey to enter full speed into parenthood with these two. I can only speculate what a to-be father might feel with a pregnant wife. There is 9 whole months to nest and contemplate life as a father. I will say, I was able to skip the sleepless nights and the constant diaper changes (don't worry, I'll have my turn I'm sure).

It feels a lot like my very first teaching job. I graduated school in December of 2008. I began teaching January of 2009. I took over for a new mother in a 3rd grade classroom. When the students came back from winter break, BAM...I was their new teacher for the remainder of the year. BAM...Kayden and Rose have become a huge part of my life. Granted, there are times where my patience runs thin if not evaporates into complete thin air, but I wouldn't change my life.

They bring innocence, intrigue, and wonder into my daily life. I am still trying to figure out how they have so much energy. I also am at a loss of why their moods shift so dramatically. Suzie just shakes her head and says, "that's just the way kids are." I am sure she is right...she's been doing this on her own for years. So here's to the single parents out there...I tip my hat and congratulate you on a job well done.

I titled this post "Insta-Parenthood Part 1 of (blank). I don't know how many installments I will have, but I'm sure there will be plenty. I wanted to close with a quick story of how my life has shifted since these kiddos have come into my life.

McDonalds. The Golden Arches. The Fat Factory. Whatever you want to call it, it's a place of happiness and wonderful for children. I got off work, at The Gun Shop, and picked the kids up from daycare. We proceeded to McDonalds. The dreaded 7 words, "I have to go to the bathroom!" were uttered as soon as we pulled into the parking lot. Ugh! I dragged Kayden and Rose into the stall of the men's bathroom. Rose went first. I am not going to lie, I'm still trying to figure girls out. I found out recently shaking them a bit on the toilet when they are done going #1 is not sufficient enough. Who knew.

As I was saying, Rose went first. Kayden was told to go to the far side of the stall and turn around to give some privacy. Kayden was next on the toilet. Finally, I needed to go. The kids obeyed and were standing by the far side of the stall looking away. When suddenly I feel two little hands on my leg as Rose peeks around and asks, "Marky, what are you doing?" I can only image what a bystander in the bathroom would have though of these three voices coming from a single stall and me trying to explain why I needed to use the bathroom.

That is all for this evening. Parenthood is hard.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Won't Wait to be Happy

*heavy sigh... here we go again... Over the past 18 months, it seems that the ADHD hyper fixation on hobbies has been in full force. I have learned to make balloon animals, pick locks, diamond art, semi-pro coloring, building mechanical keyboards, sewing, 3D printing, handmade popup cards, iron on vinyl t-shirts, vinyl stickers, etc. It makes perfect sense to come full circle and get back to blogging. Life has a knack for tossing lemons at us which leaves me tempted to just pucker up instead of embracing a sweet lemonade. The cynic in me screams, "hey...what about the water, juicer, and sugar? Do you expect me to use my hand to stir it?" I even go as far as wondering why someone would just give me free lemons...what strings are attached? So I digress... already. However, I recently heard a quote that I really like and it goes, " you can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy ." These words smacked me across the face. As some know,

What Comes After Rock Bottom? Up.

 As I continue a constant journey of self-reflection and improvement I sat down to write this post. As many of you know the past few years have been extremely difficult for my family. I say that because the events have truly had an effect on every single person in the family. For some outsiders, I have heard people say, “you guys seemed so happy…” or “you’re the perfect family.” No one is without fault. Looking back, I would have handled so many of the situations differently knowing what I know now, knowing the outcome of my own actions, and knowing the hurt and pain everything would bring. Hindsight is always 20/20. Well I don’t think that is always true. Hindsight with GLASSES is always true. The glasses, metaphorically, represent our lens/perspective as we have grown and gained new skills from the experience. It’s all part of self-reflection. After everything came to be, I thought I had hit rock bottom. I felt like the rug had been pulled from under me. It was a very dark and lonely

Pass the Baton - A Place of Peace

I finished writing this entry and just before positing, I looked at the title "Pass the Baton". After contemplating what I had written, I included "A Place of Peace" after it and now this paragraph. I almost disagree with the title of the poem now. Having run track but more importantly...coached many of my 6th grade classes for the infamous 6th Grade Track Meet, the relay is the ultimate race. I see the comparison of being on the same team and wanting the best for everyone on your team...but I don't see the parallels that I drew. I completely understand that this paragraph is very random but hear me out: I am not so much passing the baton, but rather realizing that there's another relay team in another heat now that I can cheer for. Sure, I'm not on that particular team anymore, but I care for everyone on it. Both our relay teams can win our own heats. There is room for everyone to win. Ah, there we go...now back with the regularly scheduled blog post: S