Skip to main content

The Day is Fast Approaching



Playing in Cress Creek on a hike
The wedding is fast approaching. As the summer melts away, the wedding has been creeping up! I seemed like yesterday that I had the kids give Suzie the rings while she was getting ready. It seems that the day would never get here, but here we are...less than 3 weeks away. The venue is booked, the menu is set, the cake baker is prepped, and I am nervous. I am not nervous because I have doubt...no, no. I am nervous because I don't want to mess up.

Diabetes in a cup
This moment takes me back to when I first started driving with some friends. As we were driving down Beaverton Hillsdale Highway one evening, a thought passed through my mind. "I am responsible for the friends in my car." I am responsible for not only Suzie but also these two kids. What I say or do can completely effect them and their futures. That...ladies and gentlemen, is great responsibility.

Well, let us put this serious subject to the side and update everyone on how the summer has unfolded so far!

Summer has been fantastic! I can't believe we are already into mid July. Suzie and I have taken the kids on hikes, eaten delicious sno-cones, gone to the zoo (more times than I can count), played in the park, and just had a blast.

Rose's attempts to eat sunflower seeds

While going for a long walk, I pulled out a bag of dill pickle sunflower seeds. Before you start hating on the flavor...try it. It's heaven. Rose noticed and wanted to eat some seeds too. Kayden put his hand out in eagerness as well. I gave some to both and tried to explain how you don't eat the seed but rather suck off the seasoning and spit out the seeds. It was too difficult to try to explain how to crack open the shell in one side of their mouth and spit out...you get what I mean. They are kids for heaven's sake. Kayden ran ahead throwing the seeds all around him because as he put it, "I want to plant flowers!" Rose...oh Rose. She just made a mess. She crunched the seeds up and "tried" to spit them out. It was more of a fine mist saliva and particles of sunflower seeds. It was rather entertaining as I prayed she wouldn't inhale and choke on a piece.

Since I have been a large part of the kids' lives, especially this summer we have enacted a few new traditions. 1. Pizza Tuesday has been a success for me. It is one meal of the week I prepare...wait...I mean purchase. No, no...I prepare it since we have been rocking a family sized take-and-bake pizza from Papa Murphy's. Yes, that's a half cheese and half Hawaiian. Yes, this is Mark. Yes, I'll be in at my normal time to pick it up. Thank you. That's exactly how the phone call seems to go. 2. "No fits?" followed by a quick fist bump. Before the kids and I enter a store or head to the park, I always ask, "no fits?" If they agree, they will respond with "no fits" and give me a fist bump. It works 87.9% of the time. 3. A sequence of events. I always tell the kids, after I pick them  up from day care, exactly what order we will be doing things. Kayden has become a pro at reciting back the order. First, to the car wash, then the store, then check on Max (my cat), and finally to the park. He will come right back with that order.

Cupid/Awesome...don't worry I'll fix the arm
when she balances a bit more
I can't imagine doing this without Suzie. I feel bad because there are people who do this parenting thing on their own. I applaud them for not committing murder or neglect. There are times of extreme frustration where I just need to go for a walk. I hope that's normal. I don't know what is normal since this is my first attempt at parenting. They didn't teach me this in school... Suzie keeps a cool head and is able to work full time, go to school, and still have energy to deal with me and the two kids. I get frazzled quickly. Any fixes for that? The newest frustration has been Rose not eating dinner. Ugh...just eat your food child! There are moments of awesomeness...like when she wants to stunt and we have a blast. There are other moments where she won't listen or eat and just cries. Believe me, I'm not torturing her with brussels sprouts...it's pizza for crying out loud.

So thank you Suzie for putting up with me in my attempt to help parent your little ones.

You'd think I'd have so many more blog posts since I don't "work" in the summer. If you didn't know I work full time at The Gun Shop. Which gun shop you ask? THE GUN SHOP on N. Holmes in Idaho Falls. Seriously, that's the name of the shop. I also manage their social media page/facebook and it keeps me entertained. Stay tuned for more updates...promise to do better...yeah we know that's a pipe dream.


Kayden posing...for once

Rose in her sweet stroller





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Won't Wait to be Happy

*heavy sigh... here we go again... Over the past 18 months, it seems that the ADHD hyper fixation on hobbies has been in full force. I have learned to make balloon animals, pick locks, diamond art, semi-pro coloring, building mechanical keyboards, sewing, 3D printing, handmade popup cards, iron on vinyl t-shirts, vinyl stickers, etc. It makes perfect sense to come full circle and get back to blogging. Life has a knack for tossing lemons at us which leaves me tempted to just pucker up instead of embracing a sweet lemonade. The cynic in me screams, "hey...what about the water, juicer, and sugar? Do you expect me to use my hand to stir it?" I even go as far as wondering why someone would just give me free lemons...what strings are attached? So I digress... already. However, I recently heard a quote that I really like and it goes, " you can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy ." These words smacked me across the face. As some know,

What Comes After Rock Bottom? Up.

 As I continue a constant journey of self-reflection and improvement I sat down to write this post. As many of you know the past few years have been extremely difficult for my family. I say that because the events have truly had an effect on every single person in the family. For some outsiders, I have heard people say, “you guys seemed so happy…” or “you’re the perfect family.” No one is without fault. Looking back, I would have handled so many of the situations differently knowing what I know now, knowing the outcome of my own actions, and knowing the hurt and pain everything would bring. Hindsight is always 20/20. Well I don’t think that is always true. Hindsight with GLASSES is always true. The glasses, metaphorically, represent our lens/perspective as we have grown and gained new skills from the experience. It’s all part of self-reflection. After everything came to be, I thought I had hit rock bottom. I felt like the rug had been pulled from under me. It was a very dark and lonely

Pass the Baton - A Place of Peace

I finished writing this entry and just before positing, I looked at the title "Pass the Baton". After contemplating what I had written, I included "A Place of Peace" after it and now this paragraph. I almost disagree with the title of the poem now. Having run track but more importantly...coached many of my 6th grade classes for the infamous 6th Grade Track Meet, the relay is the ultimate race. I see the comparison of being on the same team and wanting the best for everyone on your team...but I don't see the parallels that I drew. I completely understand that this paragraph is very random but hear me out: I am not so much passing the baton, but rather realizing that there's another relay team in another heat now that I can cheer for. Sure, I'm not on that particular team anymore, but I care for everyone on it. Both our relay teams can win our own heats. There is room for everyone to win. Ah, there we go...now back with the regularly scheduled blog post: S