Skip to main content

Parenting is HARD...

Baby Nari Nancy Hunsaker (25 week)
Parenting...it's hard. Not that I expected anything less, but at times (or a lot of the times) I find myself at wits end. I figured my blog would be a good place to voice my opinion since it is MY blog. I will be the one that writes down those embarrassing, hilarious, horrifying, and disgusting moments. Too often, I find parenting blogs so over the top. Who seriously has the time to do half the crap that I read about on Pinterest. Oh man, I just admitted I am on Pinterest. Scratch that.

The latest challenge/failure has been my cooking. Suzie and I have our schedules set up to minimize day care costs. In the summer, the kids do not have to be in day care at all. The days Suzie is at work, I'm at home alone with the kids. Before you call CPS, just know...no children have died...yet.

Looks about right...
As a forethought, I do believe I have done this whole "parenting" thing backwards. Being a "step-parent" is really tough as well. The kids have accepted (or so I would like to think) as an authoritative figure in the house finally. Granted, in the famous words of Denzel Washington from Training Day, "King Kong ain't got sh*t on me" when it comes to discipline. Again, please don't call CPS, no child has died. Back on topic, I came into their kids' lives after the major diaper stage. There were the trainers and pull-ups. With Rose, I could always say, "yeah, I need to go home right now..." before an imminent diaper change. With a baby on the way, my confidence in parenting has been shaken. 


Oh yes, by the way, Suzie and I are expecting a little girl on October 14th, 2016. Her name will be Nari (Nar-ee) Nancy Hunsaker. I guess I'll take the time to explain the name. Nari is Korean for "lily flower." Suzie's real name is Azucena, which is Spanish for "lily flower." Suzie's first daughter, Rose, is a four letter flower name same as Nari. Rose's middle name is Maria after Suzie's mother. Nari will have a middle name after my mother Nancy. Yes, that's a lot of significance in a name, but it was well thought out. 

Back on topic...picky eaters. I guess it goes in cycles. At first it was Kayden. He would only eat chicken nuggets and spaghetti. Rose was a garbage disposal. You could feed her anything and she would just destroy it. Now it has flipped. But as of late, to be more specific, the last two days, have been terrible with Kayden. Yesterday, I made pork chops pan fried in butter, garlic, and a few seasonings. Kayden chewed a single piece of meat for 30 minutes. When Suzie got home from work, he fessed up that he didn't like it. I tried to rationalize why you'd keep a single bite in your mouth for 30 minutes, but gave up quickly. Tonight I made teriyaki shish kebabs and coconut rice. Kayden started out strong by saying, "yummy." He also criticized his sister for saying she didn't like something that she hadn't tried yet. To make a boring story short, he didn't like it either. I refuse to have chicken nuggets four times a week and hot dogs the other three.

I guess that's about all I have for today...I will try to keep this updated a little more often.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Won't Wait to be Happy

*heavy sigh... here we go again... Over the past 18 months, it seems that the ADHD hyper fixation on hobbies has been in full force. I have learned to make balloon animals, pick locks, diamond art, semi-pro coloring, building mechanical keyboards, sewing, 3D printing, handmade popup cards, iron on vinyl t-shirts, vinyl stickers, etc. It makes perfect sense to come full circle and get back to blogging. Life has a knack for tossing lemons at us which leaves me tempted to just pucker up instead of embracing a sweet lemonade. The cynic in me screams, "hey...what about the water, juicer, and sugar? Do you expect me to use my hand to stir it?" I even go as far as wondering why someone would just give me free lemons...what strings are attached? So I digress... already. However, I recently heard a quote that I really like and it goes, " you can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy ." These words smacked me across the face. As some know,

What Comes After Rock Bottom? Up.

 As I continue a constant journey of self-reflection and improvement I sat down to write this post. As many of you know the past few years have been extremely difficult for my family. I say that because the events have truly had an effect on every single person in the family. For some outsiders, I have heard people say, “you guys seemed so happy…” or “you’re the perfect family.” No one is without fault. Looking back, I would have handled so many of the situations differently knowing what I know now, knowing the outcome of my own actions, and knowing the hurt and pain everything would bring. Hindsight is always 20/20. Well I don’t think that is always true. Hindsight with GLASSES is always true. The glasses, metaphorically, represent our lens/perspective as we have grown and gained new skills from the experience. It’s all part of self-reflection. After everything came to be, I thought I had hit rock bottom. I felt like the rug had been pulled from under me. It was a very dark and lonely

Pass the Baton - A Place of Peace

I finished writing this entry and just before positing, I looked at the title "Pass the Baton". After contemplating what I had written, I included "A Place of Peace" after it and now this paragraph. I almost disagree with the title of the poem now. Having run track but more importantly...coached many of my 6th grade classes for the infamous 6th Grade Track Meet, the relay is the ultimate race. I see the comparison of being on the same team and wanting the best for everyone on your team...but I don't see the parallels that I drew. I completely understand that this paragraph is very random but hear me out: I am not so much passing the baton, but rather realizing that there's another relay team in another heat now that I can cheer for. Sure, I'm not on that particular team anymore, but I care for everyone on it. Both our relay teams can win our own heats. There is room for everyone to win. Ah, there we go...now back with the regularly scheduled blog post: S