Skip to main content

Diapers, sleepless nights, projectile poop, and just love...

On August 1st, 2015 my life changed. I married a wonderful woman named Suzie. She has two children (Kayden and Rose) from her previous marriage. On that day, when I said, "I do..." I became an insta-father. I've been around since Rose was a little baby and I doubt there is a time that the kids remember without me around.

October 8th, 2016 at 0824H my life changed again. We welcomed Nari Nancy Hunsaker into this world.

Let me explain her name: Nari is Korean for lily flower. Despite popular belief, Suzie's real name is Azucena, which means lily flower in Spanish. Nari is also a four letter flower name, much like Rose. Nari's middle name is Nancy after my mother. Our other daughter's name is Rose Maria after Suzie's mother.

Suzie was scheduled to be induced on October 7th but unfortunately was bumped due to how busy the hospital got that night. We went in at midnight on the 8th. They started her on Petocin and we waited. After minimal change by 7AM, the midwife broke Suzie's water. I remember the conversation very vividly:

"Suzie, I'm starving, I'm going to run and grab some McDonalds."
"If you're going to go, this is the time, but be quick"

She wasn't joking. I left the hospital and came back within 15 minutes. I finished breakfast a few minutes later and she was ready to push. Nari was born into this world screaming as a healthy baby measuring 8 pounds 1.7 ounces and 19.5 inches.

I feared that I wouldn't make a connection with her. I had felt rather awkward talking to Suzie's belly during the pregnancy and in the prenatal class. When the nurse put Nari into my arms...I felt pure love. Shortly after Suzie was able to hold Nari, she left for a quick procedure. The entire room emptied as quickly as it had been filled. Suddenly, I was left holding my new born daughter alone...all alone. Looking back now, I see how important that time was alone with her. I was captivated by her. A bond, a connection, or whatever you want to call it was formed in those precious moments.

*Just a side note: a baby's first poop is disgusting. Oh! I also got to cut the umbilical cord!

We only remained at the hospital for just over 36 hours. Taking a baby home is terrifying. In the hospital you are constantly surrounded by personal that can assist in any emergency situation. Suzie's steady hand and knowledge calmed my nerves.

To sum up the last few weeks I'll hit some bullet points:
-Nari had pretty bad jaundice, but don't worry, it has since passed.
-I got three weeks off from work, which has been amazing to be at home with Nari and help around the house.
-Suzie is a champ when it comes to letting me sleep. I get up to change diapers...unless I sit up and then lay back down.
-Baby poop doesn't really smell all that bad.
-Breast milk isn't as bad as I thought.
-Nari has a set of lungs on her.
-DIAPERS

Diapers needs an entire paragraph. First and foremost, they are expensive. I know, I know, Nari is a baby and she doesn't do things with malicious intent. But I question her motives when I go to change a poopy diaper, then she will poop on the clean one as I'm closing it, then pee on the third diaper, and then poop again on the fourth diaper. Nari! Dang it! Five diapers in a single changing?!  Those diaper genies are great and convenient...for 18 hours at a time. I am constantly emptying that bad boy.

*Tip: I bet when you decided to read my blog post you wouldn't be getting parenting tips. I am merely sharing knowledge that I have learned from my own experiences. Always...ALWAYS...keep something in front of their butt while changing. You may think that's some weird advice, but all you parents know exactly what I'm about to mention...projectile poop. I am glad she is a girl since getting peed on is not an issue. It first happened with Suzie. I was sitting on the couch when I heard her call for help. This call has been since named "code brown." When I ran up to our room (where the changing table is) I found Suzie with poop all over her hand and arm, all over the changing table, and even on the near by closet doors. Who knew a newborn could push poop out with such vigor. Since that moment, we have both learned to keep a wipe or fold the diaper up a little to act as a backdrop to keep down the flying poop.

Nari also makes this perfect little "O" with her mouth when she is pooping. She is very obvious about it...then she gives a little smile. Oh that girl...

Grandpa Frank came to stay with us for several days to see his new granddaughter. The picture pretty much sums up his stay. Nari is a perfect little heater when she sleeps on you. My dad loves naps and so does Nari...so they make just the absolute perfect pair.

It was great to have him be able to come and stay with us for several days and for all the cuddles and loves he got with Nari.

Finally, everyone seems to ask, "how are the kids doing with their new baby sister?" Kayden wishes she was a boy but loves her so much. He has been so helpful around the house and with Nari as well. Rose...oh Rose...Rose loves her little sister so stinking much. She always wants to hold her, be near her, kiss her, hug her, and the list goes on and on. I think the new addition to the family has been difficult for her at times, but her love for Nari is so fun to see and experience.

I'm sure there will be much more since we just had some professional pictures taken of Nari and the family. I'll be sure to post them and continue to update you on my journey of parenting. It definitely is a wild ride...but at the end of the day, it is worth every second.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Won't Wait to be Happy

*heavy sigh... here we go again... Over the past 18 months, it seems that the ADHD hyper fixation on hobbies has been in full force. I have learned to make balloon animals, pick locks, diamond art, semi-pro coloring, building mechanical keyboards, sewing, 3D printing, handmade popup cards, iron on vinyl t-shirts, vinyl stickers, etc. It makes perfect sense to come full circle and get back to blogging. Life has a knack for tossing lemons at us which leaves me tempted to just pucker up instead of embracing a sweet lemonade. The cynic in me screams, "hey...what about the water, juicer, and sugar? Do you expect me to use my hand to stir it?" I even go as far as wondering why someone would just give me free lemons...what strings are attached? So I digress... already. However, I recently heard a quote that I really like and it goes, " you can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy ." These words smacked me across the face. As some know,

What Comes After Rock Bottom? Up.

 As I continue a constant journey of self-reflection and improvement I sat down to write this post. As many of you know the past few years have been extremely difficult for my family. I say that because the events have truly had an effect on every single person in the family. For some outsiders, I have heard people say, “you guys seemed so happy…” or “you’re the perfect family.” No one is without fault. Looking back, I would have handled so many of the situations differently knowing what I know now, knowing the outcome of my own actions, and knowing the hurt and pain everything would bring. Hindsight is always 20/20. Well I don’t think that is always true. Hindsight with GLASSES is always true. The glasses, metaphorically, represent our lens/perspective as we have grown and gained new skills from the experience. It’s all part of self-reflection. After everything came to be, I thought I had hit rock bottom. I felt like the rug had been pulled from under me. It was a very dark and lonely

Pass the Baton - A Place of Peace

I finished writing this entry and just before positing, I looked at the title "Pass the Baton". After contemplating what I had written, I included "A Place of Peace" after it and now this paragraph. I almost disagree with the title of the poem now. Having run track but more importantly...coached many of my 6th grade classes for the infamous 6th Grade Track Meet, the relay is the ultimate race. I see the comparison of being on the same team and wanting the best for everyone on your team...but I don't see the parallels that I drew. I completely understand that this paragraph is very random but hear me out: I am not so much passing the baton, but rather realizing that there's another relay team in another heat now that I can cheer for. Sure, I'm not on that particular team anymore, but I care for everyone on it. Both our relay teams can win our own heats. There is room for everyone to win. Ah, there we go...now back with the regularly scheduled blog post: S