Skip to main content

Golf Balls, Pebbles, and Sand

I am always amazed at the little things you can learn through object lessons and movies. A doctor once told me that I'm a stressed individual. I would say, that's about right. I stress about everything and worry about everything. I saw this little object lesson on a video that was circulating through Facebook. I'll summarize:

A professor took out a jar and filled it with golf balls. He turned to his class and asked, "is the jar full?" He received a resounding, "YES!" He then took out some pebbles and poured them into the jar. The pebbles filled in the gaps and cracks left by the larger golf balls. "Now is the jar full?" "YES!" exclaimed his students. Then he took out sand and proceeded to pour it into the jar. The sand filled the even smaller gaps between the pebbles. He turned to the class, "now is the jar full?" "YES!" Finally, he took out two beers and poured them into the jar. The class was amazed that so much stuff fit. "Now the jar is full," stated the professor.

He continues to explain his object lesson. The golf balls are the most important things in our lives (i.e. family, children, health). The pebbles are the other important things in life (i.e. job, house, car, bills), the sand is everything else...the small stuff. He continues to explain how if you put the sand in first, there isn't room for the golf balls. At the end of the lesson, a student asks, "Professor, what was with the beers?" as his classmates laugh. The professor smiled and responded, "it doesn't matter how full your life seems at times, there is always room for a few beers with your friends."

The video ended and I sat back in my chair thinking, "hmmmmmm." That lesson is so applicable in my own life. My life is full. I spend FAR too much time worrying about the sand in my jar. So I'm going to try to worry less about the sand and more about the golf balls and pebbles in my life.

Over the weekend, Suzie encouraged me to go out with some friends and go shooting. Shooting is one of my passions and hobbies. I was able to get to the range with a few friends for a few hours. It was nice to relax, talk guns, be around other adult males, and just enjoy some good range time. I see how important it is to make time for your friends.

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” -Albert Einstein

Some of the things the kids do just frustrate me...but it's all part of their development. I can either encourage positive growth or I can be negative and focus on the terrible. Life is a miracle. Everything that has happened in my life is a miracle. Where I am now, living in Idaho Falls, owning my house, having a secure full-time job, having a loving wife, and three kids is just a miracle. It seems more than I deserve at times. But I've decided to live life as if everything is a miracle rather than nothing. Looking for that silver lining in all things isn't easy, but already this morning, I have felt a difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Won't Wait to be Happy

*heavy sigh... here we go again... Over the past 18 months, it seems that the ADHD hyper fixation on hobbies has been in full force. I have learned to make balloon animals, pick locks, diamond art, semi-pro coloring, building mechanical keyboards, sewing, 3D printing, handmade popup cards, iron on vinyl t-shirts, vinyl stickers, etc. It makes perfect sense to come full circle and get back to blogging. Life has a knack for tossing lemons at us which leaves me tempted to just pucker up instead of embracing a sweet lemonade. The cynic in me screams, "hey...what about the water, juicer, and sugar? Do you expect me to use my hand to stir it?" I even go as far as wondering why someone would just give me free lemons...what strings are attached? So I digress... already. However, I recently heard a quote that I really like and it goes, " you can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy ." These words smacked me across the face. As some know,

What Comes After Rock Bottom? Up.

 As I continue a constant journey of self-reflection and improvement I sat down to write this post. As many of you know the past few years have been extremely difficult for my family. I say that because the events have truly had an effect on every single person in the family. For some outsiders, I have heard people say, “you guys seemed so happy…” or “you’re the perfect family.” No one is without fault. Looking back, I would have handled so many of the situations differently knowing what I know now, knowing the outcome of my own actions, and knowing the hurt and pain everything would bring. Hindsight is always 20/20. Well I don’t think that is always true. Hindsight with GLASSES is always true. The glasses, metaphorically, represent our lens/perspective as we have grown and gained new skills from the experience. It’s all part of self-reflection. After everything came to be, I thought I had hit rock bottom. I felt like the rug had been pulled from under me. It was a very dark and lonely

Pass the Baton - A Place of Peace

I finished writing this entry and just before positing, I looked at the title "Pass the Baton". After contemplating what I had written, I included "A Place of Peace" after it and now this paragraph. I almost disagree with the title of the poem now. Having run track but more importantly...coached many of my 6th grade classes for the infamous 6th Grade Track Meet, the relay is the ultimate race. I see the comparison of being on the same team and wanting the best for everyone on your team...but I don't see the parallels that I drew. I completely understand that this paragraph is very random but hear me out: I am not so much passing the baton, but rather realizing that there's another relay team in another heat now that I can cheer for. Sure, I'm not on that particular team anymore, but I care for everyone on it. Both our relay teams can win our own heats. There is room for everyone to win. Ah, there we go...now back with the regularly scheduled blog post: S