Skip to main content

Oh Elon, You're on to Something Good...

Some fun parks around the area
 It has been some time since I last published anything on my blog. I think it comes down to different priorities. I have always been one to journal as a way to process the things happening around me. I definitely was better at doing it on a regular basis earlier this year. To catch everyone, my loyal 6 readers, up on the past 4 years of life...have a family of 3 children, left the classroom to become an assistant principal, became a principal, moved from hobby to hobby and skipped around on different projects. 

I was interviewing someone for a teaching position today. This was an individual I had already worked with and knew extensively. This interviewee had already been asked all the questions we use...and reuse. So being the impulsive person that I am, I prefaced my final question with..."I just want to try something out...I want to ask you a question and I don't know how it will even go, but do you know who Elon Musk is?" She responded with a very flat, "no" and shook her head. I quickly explained that he is the CEO of Tesla and he has an odd way of doing things, but obviously is working out pretty well for him. Let's not mention the launch of the Cyber Truck because that was just a hot mess.

"You're standing on the surface of the earth. You walk one mile south, one mile west, and one mile north. You end up exactly where you started. Where are you?"

Silly hats, zoo, and fun
I won't lie, I half chuckled when I thought of how this person was going to answer. I had only briefly reviewed the "correct" answer. Do you know what it is? Don't go Google it and pretend you knew the whole time... The purpose isn't some hidden agenda, but rather to discover who a particular candidate does under pressure, when then are taken off guard, when they are required to immediately engage their critical thinking. Elon Musk isn't concerned about the actual response but rather the process in which the individual undergoes. Many skirt around the question, or pretend to have some expertise in the matter, or they thoughtfully formulate a response while making assumptions and explaining those assumptions. 

Surprise. This individual took me by surprise...there isn't a better way to put it. Not more than a few seconds passed and they responded, "Well you're right back to where you started, but you have gained experiences that you didn't have before." 

*MIC DROP

Granted, I have taken my memory and re-created exact quotes...which I may have needed some artistic liberty in writing, but the message is still there. It took me some time to process that response as it was SO fast. I thought out loud even by thinking about how I used to be so "destination" focused. Another individual in the room that was participating in the interview process also commented on how they like to race the GPS's ETA. "Alright, we are ahead of schedule, we have 18 minutes to use the bathroom and get snacks..." I laughed...I LOVE racing the ETA. I always think it's the machines challenging me to a race. Let's go terminators...

Lots of outside activities
Over the past several months, there have been some life altering, dream shattering, and experience creating events. I realize there has been a massive shift in my own thought process... it's not about the destination, but rather it's all about the journey. 38 years to learn this simple lesson. 30...8...years. A flood of memories washed over me, I swear I was tearing up...pretty sure no one noticed, "oh yeah, the pollen is nuts right now." It doesn't matter if you feel like you are right back to where you started after a time. All the time that was spent wondering, figuring things out, living life in general were experiences and memories that are so special. We do not always have control over the destination or all of the other variables in our lives. We do have control over how we choose to view the journey. 

I'm okay being lost for right now. I've got some great companions on my journey and we aren't worried about where we are going, but rather... the experiences and memories we will create along that path.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Won't Wait to be Happy

*heavy sigh... here we go again... Over the past 18 months, it seems that the ADHD hyper fixation on hobbies has been in full force. I have learned to make balloon animals, pick locks, diamond art, semi-pro coloring, building mechanical keyboards, sewing, 3D printing, handmade popup cards, iron on vinyl t-shirts, vinyl stickers, etc. It makes perfect sense to come full circle and get back to blogging. Life has a knack for tossing lemons at us which leaves me tempted to just pucker up instead of embracing a sweet lemonade. The cynic in me screams, "hey...what about the water, juicer, and sugar? Do you expect me to use my hand to stir it?" I even go as far as wondering why someone would just give me free lemons...what strings are attached? So I digress... already. However, I recently heard a quote that I really like and it goes, " you can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy ." These words smacked me across the face. As some know,

What Comes After Rock Bottom? Up.

 As I continue a constant journey of self-reflection and improvement I sat down to write this post. As many of you know the past few years have been extremely difficult for my family. I say that because the events have truly had an effect on every single person in the family. For some outsiders, I have heard people say, “you guys seemed so happy…” or “you’re the perfect family.” No one is without fault. Looking back, I would have handled so many of the situations differently knowing what I know now, knowing the outcome of my own actions, and knowing the hurt and pain everything would bring. Hindsight is always 20/20. Well I don’t think that is always true. Hindsight with GLASSES is always true. The glasses, metaphorically, represent our lens/perspective as we have grown and gained new skills from the experience. It’s all part of self-reflection. After everything came to be, I thought I had hit rock bottom. I felt like the rug had been pulled from under me. It was a very dark and lonely

Pass the Baton - A Place of Peace

I finished writing this entry and just before positing, I looked at the title "Pass the Baton". After contemplating what I had written, I included "A Place of Peace" after it and now this paragraph. I almost disagree with the title of the poem now. Having run track but more importantly...coached many of my 6th grade classes for the infamous 6th Grade Track Meet, the relay is the ultimate race. I see the comparison of being on the same team and wanting the best for everyone on your team...but I don't see the parallels that I drew. I completely understand that this paragraph is very random but hear me out: I am not so much passing the baton, but rather realizing that there's another relay team in another heat now that I can cheer for. Sure, I'm not on that particular team anymore, but I care for everyone on it. Both our relay teams can win our own heats. There is room for everyone to win. Ah, there we go...now back with the regularly scheduled blog post: S