Skip to main content

Won't Wait to be Happy



*heavy sigh... here we go again...

Over the past 18 months, it seems that the ADHD hyper fixation on hobbies has been in full force. I have learned to make balloon animals, pick locks, diamond art, semi-pro coloring, building mechanical keyboards, sewing, 3D printing, handmade popup cards, iron on vinyl t-shirts, vinyl stickers, etc. It makes perfect sense to come full circle and get back to blogging.

Life has a knack for tossing lemons at us which leaves me tempted to just pucker up instead of embracing a sweet lemonade. The cynic in me screams, "hey...what about the water, juicer, and sugar? Do you expect me to use my hand to stir it?" I even go as far as wondering why someone would just give me free lemons...what strings are attached? So I digress... already. However, I recently heard a quote that I really like and it goes, "you can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy." These words smacked me across the face. As some know, but not all, I have faced my fair share of trials and tribulations. These range from parenting conundrums, kid calamities, surviving another year as a principal, all while working on my own healing and mental health. I have learned that happiness is a decision that can be made regardless of the circus that surrounds each and every one of us.

Co-parenting is much like the juggling fire breathers and lion tamers in the Hunsaker Circus. Come one , come all. Everyone is completing for the spotlight. Waiting for life to stop resembling a circus tent because we can choose happiness will leave you waiting forever. I decided to trade in my juggling balls and take on effective communication and sprinkle in some empathy on those tightrope conversations. By focusing on the well-being of our little daredevils, I discovered that joy can emerge amidst the acrobats of co-parenting. I guess it turns out that finding happiness is the greatest tightrope act of all.

Parenting is like riding a roller coaster. They are complete with unexpected twists, stomach-dropping descents, and a few moments of sheer terror. But waiting for the kids to magically transform into mini saints before we choose happiness would be a never ending ride. Instead, I took a different approach, embracing the chaos and finding the humor in the madness. From tantrums to pre-teen arguments, there have been moments of just pure terror. When the roller coaster takes a plunge, your stomach rises into your throat and you're not sure if you're having fun or not...that's parenting.I have come to embrace some of the chaos and find humor in all the madness. I do think that laughter is the secret ingredient to surviving parenthood. So, ladies and gentlemen, please keep your arms and feet inside the cart at all times...send it.

Being a school principal is a lot like parenting. But it's just a different craziness...oh yes, it's my very own three-ring circus. I swear I didn't learn half the stuff I do in college. Being a principal feels much like being the ringmaster of a three-ring circus. With administrative hurdles, tightrope-walking through federal/state budgets, compliance documents, keeping the lion tamers (teachers) content, the fans demand constant attention (parents/families), it's easy to feel like the entire success of the circus is on my shoulders. But waiting for the lions to start performing and the trapeze artists to stick their landings before we decide to be happy would be an exhausting waiting game. Instead, I have learned to celebrate the little victories - the standing ovation after a successful school event, or the satisfaction of taming a budget beast. By finding joy in the chaos, I am becoming the happiest ringmaster in town.

As life has tossed some lemons into the mix, I find that the "healing journey" is really just a stand-up comedy routine which is also known as my mental health. Amidst the circus of life, it's crucial to remember that mental health deserves a standing ovation as well. Over the past year and a half, I embarked on a personal comedy routine - seeking therapy, practicing mindfulness and grounding skills, and engaging in acts of "self-care". I discovered that laughter truly is the best medicine, even if my jokes weren't always worth of a sold out crowd. Laughter is still the best medicine. 


In the end, I do believe life will always have its ups and downs, my friends. Instead of waiting for the ride to smooth out before embracing happiness, why not throw your hands up in the air, scream with delight (or terror), and enjoy the twists and turns. Co-parenting, parenting challenges, work drama, and personal growth journeys are all part of the exhilarating adventure we call life. By infusing humor, laughter, and a dash of resilience, we can find happiness even amidst the chaos. 

So, let's embrace the messiness, dance through the challenges, and laugh at the absurdity of it all. Remember, life isn't a sitcom with a neatly wrapped happy ending. It's a sitcom with countless seasons, each filled with laughter, tears, and everything in between. So grab the popcorn, maybe some more snacks, fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride. Happiness awaits us on this wild and hilarious ride called life.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Comes After Rock Bottom? Up.

 As I continue a constant journey of self-reflection and improvement I sat down to write this post. As many of you know the past few years have been extremely difficult for my family. I say that because the events have truly had an effect on every single person in the family. For some outsiders, I have heard people say, “you guys seemed so happy…” or “you’re the perfect family.” No one is without fault. Looking back, I would have handled so many of the situations differently knowing what I know now, knowing the outcome of my own actions, and knowing the hurt and pain everything would bring. Hindsight is always 20/20. Well I don’t think that is always true. Hindsight with GLASSES is always true. The glasses, metaphorically, represent our lens/perspective as we have grown and gained new skills from the experience. It’s all part of self-reflection. After everything came to be, I thought I had hit rock bottom. I felt like the rug had been pulled from under me. It was a very dark and lonely

Pass the Baton - A Place of Peace

I finished writing this entry and just before positing, I looked at the title "Pass the Baton". After contemplating what I had written, I included "A Place of Peace" after it and now this paragraph. I almost disagree with the title of the poem now. Having run track but more importantly...coached many of my 6th grade classes for the infamous 6th Grade Track Meet, the relay is the ultimate race. I see the comparison of being on the same team and wanting the best for everyone on your team...but I don't see the parallels that I drew. I completely understand that this paragraph is very random but hear me out: I am not so much passing the baton, but rather realizing that there's another relay team in another heat now that I can cheer for. Sure, I'm not on that particular team anymore, but I care for everyone on it. Both our relay teams can win our own heats. There is room for everyone to win. Ah, there we go...now back with the regularly scheduled blog post: S