Skip to main content

The End of a Dynasty



"You are all fine athletes...thanks in most part...to me." -Big Red from Bring it On

Four or five years ago, I saw a posting on District 91's website for an assistant cheerleading coach at Skyline High School. I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to have fun coaching something I did growing up and making some extra money. Ha,  the money...I'll get to that later.

I applied for the job and met Paula Ashby for the very first time. She seemed excited to have someone with "my background." Then again, my background consisted of high school cheer, one year on a competitive all-star team, and a year on the Portland State Cheerleading team. After discussing it in depth, I decided it was not the best thing for me. So a few years passed and my interaction was minimal with the Skyline team.

After my divorce, I thought..."why not?" I applied for the position again. Adjusting to the 6:30AM practice schedule did take some time and a massive amount of caffeine. I began by helping out at practices around December, 2012. The team, that year, did go to USA National in California. I was unable to go (due to finances). Instead, they took a huge cutout of my face EVERYWHERE!
After that year of volunteering, I accepted the full-time assistant coach position. The stipend was a whopping $1000 a year. It came out to about $0.36/hour. Not too bad. I had no idea of the commitment that was involved until it was too late. I was committed.

Over the next year, I worked closely with the team as a full blown assistant coach. The amount of effort and energy the girls put in was amazing! It seemed there was always something to do. We practiced long hours before going to camp. My first year at cheer camp brought back memories. We attended summer camp in Logan UT. It was incredibly hot and I found a new definition to sunburnt. Some of the girls even sunburned their eyes. I had no idea that was even possible. Even suffering from dehydration, mild heat stroke, and the constant burn of sunscreen in their eyes, they managed to finish camp.

I could go on forever about the different experiences I had during my time as a cheer coach. What I want to convey is what a big part of my life it became.

Ashby and I worked closely and well together over the next three years. We shared COUNTLESS hours on the phone, sitting on cold hard bleachers, and suffered in "silence" at freezing cold football games. There were many amazing memories along with times of pure frustration. Every year I figured it would be my last. But for three years I can back and found such love and joy. I have never met someone so committed and dedicated to their "second job" than Ashby. She works tirelessly to maintain the team, finances, and attitudes. Everything she does is for the betterment of the team rather than herself. I am beyond elated to have been her assistant coach. We have been to summer camps, competitions in Utah and across the state, countless stadiums, and even Anaheim, CA twice for Nationals.

Needless to say, the time was well spent. But a new life moment has begun where I will be marrying the girl of my dreams. She has two kiddos...life is about to get very interesting. I decided that I'd retire (after only three years). The dynamic duo is ending their amazing three year run but I hope to continue helping when needed. It was too big to simply walk away.

Skyline cheerleaders...you will be greatly missed. There is a very special place in my heart for ALL of you. Granted, it's not like I died...but in a way, this part of my life, it is the end of coaching.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Won't Wait to be Happy

*heavy sigh... here we go again... Over the past 18 months, it seems that the ADHD hyper fixation on hobbies has been in full force. I have learned to make balloon animals, pick locks, diamond art, semi-pro coloring, building mechanical keyboards, sewing, 3D printing, handmade popup cards, iron on vinyl t-shirts, vinyl stickers, etc. It makes perfect sense to come full circle and get back to blogging. Life has a knack for tossing lemons at us which leaves me tempted to just pucker up instead of embracing a sweet lemonade. The cynic in me screams, "hey...what about the water, juicer, and sugar? Do you expect me to use my hand to stir it?" I even go as far as wondering why someone would just give me free lemons...what strings are attached? So I digress... already. However, I recently heard a quote that I really like and it goes, " you can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy ." These words smacked me across the face. As some know,

What Comes After Rock Bottom? Up.

 As I continue a constant journey of self-reflection and improvement I sat down to write this post. As many of you know the past few years have been extremely difficult for my family. I say that because the events have truly had an effect on every single person in the family. For some outsiders, I have heard people say, “you guys seemed so happy…” or “you’re the perfect family.” No one is without fault. Looking back, I would have handled so many of the situations differently knowing what I know now, knowing the outcome of my own actions, and knowing the hurt and pain everything would bring. Hindsight is always 20/20. Well I don’t think that is always true. Hindsight with GLASSES is always true. The glasses, metaphorically, represent our lens/perspective as we have grown and gained new skills from the experience. It’s all part of self-reflection. After everything came to be, I thought I had hit rock bottom. I felt like the rug had been pulled from under me. It was a very dark and lonely

Pass the Baton - A Place of Peace

I finished writing this entry and just before positing, I looked at the title "Pass the Baton". After contemplating what I had written, I included "A Place of Peace" after it and now this paragraph. I almost disagree with the title of the poem now. Having run track but more importantly...coached many of my 6th grade classes for the infamous 6th Grade Track Meet, the relay is the ultimate race. I see the comparison of being on the same team and wanting the best for everyone on your team...but I don't see the parallels that I drew. I completely understand that this paragraph is very random but hear me out: I am not so much passing the baton, but rather realizing that there's another relay team in another heat now that I can cheer for. Sure, I'm not on that particular team anymore, but I care for everyone on it. Both our relay teams can win our own heats. There is room for everyone to win. Ah, there we go...now back with the regularly scheduled blog post: S