Skip to main content

Time to Adjust

I am not a super emotional person as anyone can tell. I do have my outbursts of anger as do many people, although for the most part I would think of myself as relatively easy going. This last week, it has been a roller coaster of emotions. I don't really know what's change. I think it all begin with Nari. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the poor girl, but I know she is missing something great.


Before we all jump to conclusions on what she's missing...first let me back track. It's been six years since my mom passed away due to cancer. "Time heals all wounds..." I know the cliche quite well. Time does not heal all wounds in the sense that I'll eventually not feel the sadness. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss her.

I wasn't always the perfect son and if I could go back in time, I'd definitely kick myself in the pants so much! But my mother did teach me some valuable lessons.

Getting back on topic regarding Nari and how this entire emotional week began...I was holding Nari and she was falling asleep. I suddenly became so sad that my mother wasn't there to hold her. I remember my mom holding my sisters's kids. When Kim had her kids, Mom would take several weeks and go help her around the house and with the kids. I have wonderful pictures of mom with Sara's first child. I know, I know..."insert Heavenly cliche"...putting that aside, Nari won't get to know the wonderful woman as a grandmother. The thoughts of, "it's not fair," and "maybe they knew each other before this life," all crossed my head. It was sadness knowing that Nari Nancy will never feel, the woman she's named after, her warm embrace.

Suzie has gotten me into watching Grey's Anatomy. Overall, it's not a bad show. Medically inaccurate at times...according to Suzie, but overall a decent drama. Granted, everything that could go wrong with this group of doctors, does in the end.

In the most recent episode, one of the doctors, Maggie, lost of her mother to breast cancer. She returns to work and people around her are questioning her ability to perform a surgery. She is removing a tumor from an unborn baby still inside the mother. Everything is going fine until the tumor is removed from the baby's heart. The baby begins to code and the other pediatric doctor is demanding to know what to do and yelling at Maggie to "DO SOMETHING." Maggie is just waiting, calmly, almost appearing to freeze. Then she says, in a perfect Grey's Anatomy metaphor:

"I hear you. My plan is to give her a minute. She just lost something huge, something that has been with her since day one. Her heart just needs to learn how to beat without that extra load. She just needs a little time to adjust."

I don't know why, but that particular line hit me so hard. When we lose something that has been with us since the beginning, it takes our hearts time to adjust to the loss. My mother's death did not hit me in the beginning. It was almost surreal. She passed away on August, and I returned to school within a week for the for the first day back to school with students. My heart didn't adjust in the beginning. Maybe now, it's finally beginning to adjust. So in essence, time does heal all wounds. Time allows the heart to beat on it's own. Time allows you to wake up each day with a renewed view of the world. Time allows you to push past your own trials and embrace the challenge of overcoming them. I just need time to adjust as do we all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Won't Wait to be Happy

*heavy sigh... here we go again... Over the past 18 months, it seems that the ADHD hyper fixation on hobbies has been in full force. I have learned to make balloon animals, pick locks, diamond art, semi-pro coloring, building mechanical keyboards, sewing, 3D printing, handmade popup cards, iron on vinyl t-shirts, vinyl stickers, etc. It makes perfect sense to come full circle and get back to blogging. Life has a knack for tossing lemons at us which leaves me tempted to just pucker up instead of embracing a sweet lemonade. The cynic in me screams, "hey...what about the water, juicer, and sugar? Do you expect me to use my hand to stir it?" I even go as far as wondering why someone would just give me free lemons...what strings are attached? So I digress... already. However, I recently heard a quote that I really like and it goes, " you can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy ." These words smacked me across the face. As some know,

What Comes After Rock Bottom? Up.

 As I continue a constant journey of self-reflection and improvement I sat down to write this post. As many of you know the past few years have been extremely difficult for my family. I say that because the events have truly had an effect on every single person in the family. For some outsiders, I have heard people say, “you guys seemed so happy…” or “you’re the perfect family.” No one is without fault. Looking back, I would have handled so many of the situations differently knowing what I know now, knowing the outcome of my own actions, and knowing the hurt and pain everything would bring. Hindsight is always 20/20. Well I don’t think that is always true. Hindsight with GLASSES is always true. The glasses, metaphorically, represent our lens/perspective as we have grown and gained new skills from the experience. It’s all part of self-reflection. After everything came to be, I thought I had hit rock bottom. I felt like the rug had been pulled from under me. It was a very dark and lonely

Pass the Baton - A Place of Peace

I finished writing this entry and just before positing, I looked at the title "Pass the Baton". After contemplating what I had written, I included "A Place of Peace" after it and now this paragraph. I almost disagree with the title of the poem now. Having run track but more importantly...coached many of my 6th grade classes for the infamous 6th Grade Track Meet, the relay is the ultimate race. I see the comparison of being on the same team and wanting the best for everyone on your team...but I don't see the parallels that I drew. I completely understand that this paragraph is very random but hear me out: I am not so much passing the baton, but rather realizing that there's another relay team in another heat now that I can cheer for. Sure, I'm not on that particular team anymore, but I care for everyone on it. Both our relay teams can win our own heats. There is room for everyone to win. Ah, there we go...now back with the regularly scheduled blog post: S